If you make use of Apple devices like iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, or Mac, then making payments with Apple Pay is the best option for you. What then is Apple Pay, how does it work and how do I set it up? Apple Pay is one of the easiest and safe ways for Apple device users to make contactless payments. In simple terms, it is a mobile payment and digital wallet service by Apple inc. Apple Pay was originally launched in the United States and is now available in over 50 countries and territories across the world.
In U.S Apple Pay is accepted by over 85 percent of retailers. It was created and designed to allow Apple device users to make payments using their device instead of a card. Unlike other contactless card payments, there is no limit for Apple Pay, you can make secure contactless payments above $45 limit in apps, shops, and on the web. When you are making a purchase on the web in safari on either your iPhone, Mac, or iPad. You can use Apple pay without having to create an account, fill lengthy forms or enter card details.
Where Can I Use Apple Pay?
Apple pay can be used anywhere that accepts contactless payments. You can use it in stores, within apps, on the web in safari, for transit in some countries, and Business chat. Apple pay is supported in many stores and restaurants worldwide. Some of the few stores in the U.S that accept Apple stores are Walgreens, whole food, McDonald’s, Nike, etc.
Countries and Regions That Support Apple Pay
Apple Pay as stated earlier is supported in many countries and regions in the world. You can add your credit card, debit, or prepaid cards in card issuers and participating banks in the regions and countries listed below;
- South Africa
Asia – Pacific
- China Mainland
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Czech Republic
- Faroe Islands
- Isle of Man
- San Marino
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Saudi Arabi
- United Arab Emirates
- The United States
Devices Compatible with Apple Pay
Apple Pay is compatible with your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac model. For iPhone users, the Apple Pay is compatible with iPhone model with Face ID and with Touch ID except for iPhone 5s. This means that ApplePay can be accessed on your iPhone 6,7, 8,11, or 12. For iPad models, it is c compatible for iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad, and iPad mini model with Touch ID or Face ID. And for Apple Watch, it is compatible with Apple watch series 1 and later. Lastly for Mac Model, it is compatible with Mac Model and Touch ID.
How to Set Up Apple pay
You can set up Apple Pay on your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac by adding your credit, debit, or prepaid cards. But before you can set up Apple Pay, you must first check if Apple pay is supported in your region by checking the earlier listed Regions and countries the Apple pay is supported. Another important thing to consider is if your device is compatible with Apple Pay. You will need the latest version of Apple Watch, iOS, or macOS. And lastly, you will need an Apple ID signed in to iCloud. Follow the steps below to set up ApplePay on your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch.
How to Set Up Apple Pay on iPhone
To make use of Apple Pay on your iPhone you will need to use the Apple Wallet App to set it up. The Apple wallet will help to store your credit and debit card and will pull the data when you authenticate Apple pay to pay for goods.
- On your iPhone go to your Wallet
- Tap on the + icon at the top right corner of your device to add a credit or debit car.
- Click on continue and then fill any additional information needed
- Then, your bank will verify your information.
Note your bank may need you to provide additional information or you might receive a text with a code that you will be required to enter. The process depends on your bank. After your card has been verified, tap Next and then you can start using ApplePay on your iPhone.
How to Set Up Apple On Your iPad
To also set Up ApplePay on your iPad you will need to use the Apple Wallet. Follow the steps below;
- Go to your iPad setting> wallet and Apple pay.
- Tap to add your credit or debit card and follow the steps carefully to successfully add a card.
- Then, tap on Next and your bank or card issuer will verify your information If you can use the card with Apple pay
- Your bank might need you to provide additional information, when you have the information.
- Go back to your iPad setting> wallet and Apple pay and tap on your card.
After your bank might have verified your card, you will need to click on Next and you can now start using your card.
Set up Apple Pay on My Apple Watch
To set up Apple Pay on your Apple watch;
- Open your Apple watch App on your iPhone and then go to my watch tab
- For users who have more than one Apple watch, you will need to choose one
- Click on wallet and apple pay and follow the steps to add a card.
- After that you will need to click on Next so that your bank or card issuer can verify your card and your information
If your bank or card issuer needs more information, you will have to go back to the wallet and Apple pay and tap on your card. After that, your bank will verify your card, then tap on next to start using Apple pay.
Set up Apple Pay on Mac
As earlier stated, you will need a Mac model with Touch ID to set up ApplePay on your Mac.
- On your iPhone go to the setting > wallet and Apple pay and turn on allow payment for mac.
- Then, on your mac model go to the system preference > Wallet and Apple Pay.
- Tap on Add card and follow the steps to add a card.
- Then, tap on Next and your bank or card issuer will verify your information.
If your bank needs extra information you will need to go back to your mac setting and tap to your card. After that, your bank will verify your card and then click on next to start using ApplePay.
How to Use Apple Pay on iPhone
You can use the Apple pay on your iPhone with Face ID or with Touch ID. To pay with iPhone using Face ID follow the steps below;
- Using your default card, double click the side button
- Look at your iPhone to authenticate with Face ID or enter your passcode
- Then, hold the top of your phone near the contactless reader until you are sone and checkmark on the display.
While to pay with iPhone using your Touch ID follow the steps below;
- Using your default card, place your finger on Touch ID
- Hold the top of your iPhone near the contactless reader until you are done and checkmark on the display.
How to use Apple Pay on the Apple Watch
To make payment using your Apple watch follow the steps below,
- Using your default Card
- Double click the side button
- Hold the display of your Apple watch near the contactless reader
- Then, wait till you feel a gentle tap
Finally, you can also make payments with ApplePay within an App. Meaning you will be able to select ApplePay at the checkout when ordering from an app. You will need to place your finger on Touch ID or use Face ID when paying. Also, you can use Apple pay Via the safari web browser to make payments. You can search online for steps and guidelines on how to go about it.