If you’ve just got a new mobile device or you’re switching to another one and you wish to transfer your WhatsApp data to your new device. You can do so after successfully backing up your WhatsApp data and then proceed to transfer it. There’s no need to be concerned if you don’t know how to transfer your WhatsApp data. Read through this article for steps and guidelines to follow to achieve your goal.
In the meantime, WhatsApp is currently one of the most popular and widely used social media platforms, with a large number of users from across the world. Many people use Meta instant messaging app to communicate and connect with their friends, family, loved ones, business partners, and customers, among others.
Losing your WhatsApp data can be painful, especially when you have a lot of important messages, media, and documents. That is why it is imperative you learn how to transfer WhatsApp data as well as how to back up your data.
You can transfer WhatsApp data from your current Android device to your new Android device. Or from your old iPhone to your new one using Google Drive and iCloud, respectively. It is worthwhile to note that, it is currently impossible to transfer WhatsApp data from an iPhone to an Android or vice versa except through the use of third-party apps. Check out the next outline for steps and guidelines to follow.
How to Transfer WhatsApp Data from Android to Android
As mentioned, you can transfer your WhatsApp data from your old Android smartphone to your new Android device. But, you will first need to backup your chat and media and then proceed to restore the backup data to your new Android device. Here are steps to follow:
- Open WhatsApp on your old Android device.
- Click on the menu icon at the top right corner of your device.
- Scroll down the options and tap on ”SETTINGS.”
- On the settings page, click on “CHATS.”
- Navigate down and tap on ”CHAT BACKUP.”
- Now, click on Account or Add to your Google Drive Account.
- To include videos, tap on the toggle switch.
- Lastly, click on “Back up.”
You can uninstall WhatsApp from your device after successfully backing up your data to your Google Drive account. Now, you will need to restore your backed-up data onto your new Android device. Check out the next step.
How to Restore Your WhatsApp Chats and Media to Your New Android Device
To restore your backup WhatsApp data to your new Android device, you will need the same mobile and Google Account used to create the backup. Also, you must have downloaded WhatsApp on your new device from the Google Play Store. Here are steps to follow:
- Connect to your Google Account to access the backup of your WhatsApp Chats on your new Android device.
- Proceed to download and install WhatsApp on your device.
- Open the app and verify your mobile number.
- After successfully verifying your number, click on Restore media and chats from Google Drive.
- Once the restoration process has been completed, click on ”Next.”
Lastly, all your backup chats and media will be restored by WhatsApp on your new device and you will automatically get access to them.
How do I Transfer WhatsApp Data From iPhone to iPhone?
Just like with Android devices, transferring and restoring data from iPhone to iPhone is easy and simple to go about. In fact, it is similar, but you will need to back up your data to your iCloud account rather than to your Google Drive. First, make sure you are signed in to your iCloud account on your iPhone and grant WhatsApp permission to use your iCloud. Then follow the steps below:
- Open WhatsApp on your old iPhone device.
- At the bottom of the homepage, locate the setting icon and tap on it.
- On the setting page, scroll down and click on Chats.
- Then, click on ”Chat Backup.”
- To include videos in your backup, toggle on.
- Finally, tap on Backup Now.
Once you have successfully backed up your WhatsApp chat and media safely to your iCloud account, you can check out the next outline for steps to transfer your messages to your new iPhone.
Restore WhatsApp Chats on Your New iPhone
To restore your backup data to your new iPhone, you will need your WhatsApp mobile number and the iCloud account used to create the backup. Firstly, sign in to the iCloud on your new iPhone and grant WhatsApp permission to use the iCloud. Then, follow the below steps and guidelines;
- Download and install WhatsApp on your new iPhone.
- Launch WhatsApp on your mobile device.
- Verify your country and phone number.
- Then, click on Restore Chat History.
- Lastly, tap on ”Next” to start using WhatsApp.
There you have it. The above steps and guidelines are the process of restoring and transferring data from your old iPhone to your new iPhone device.